i threw this together yesterday with what i had on hand. it was a nice side dish for our grilled burgers last night and tastes great as todays lunch as well.
- about 2 coups cooked brown rice
- 1 orange pepper
- 3 broccoli crowns
- 1/3 head of iceburg lettuce
- 1 14oz can white kidney beans
- 1/8 cup tahini
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (or less) olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- steam the broccoli until just cooked then run under cold water.
- while broccoli cools fully chop up pepper into approximately 1/2 inch pieces.
- chop iceburg lettuce 1/2 inch pieces.
- drain beans and rinse well.
- once broccoli is cooled chop it into roughly bite sized bits.
- combine pepper, rice, broccoli and beans in a large bowl.
- put the garlic through a press or chop finely into a small bowl.
- add tahini.
- zest lemon into the bowl.
- squeeze lemon juice into the bowl careful not to include seeds.
- stir well.
- now add olive oil until it looks like enough dressing to coat your salad.
- add salt to taste.
- pour dressing over salad and toss very well. the dressing is thick and the salad needs a good stirring to make sure everything is coated.
healthy veggies, brown rice, beans for protein, and fresh garlic! this salad is flavorful and healthy and great for those of us who want to continue to enjoy eating yummy food without packing on quite so many pounds. enjoy!